On the evening of Thursday, December 22nd, we released an update to our Onboarding feature. During the Add New Hire process, you will be offered the option to select a state other than the current default of Michigan. The states offered are based on two conditions: Whether the client state tax has been activated for that client, and whether the state has been made available by our project team. Keep in mind it will only show you the options of the state(s) in which your business resides.
The initial states we are making available exist in one of two groups:
The states that do not have an Income Tax (no withholdings)
- New Hampshire
- South Dakota
The states that use the federal, rather than state-specific, W-4 Form:
- New Mexico
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- Puerto Rico
The second group that do not have their own State W-4 form use the Federal W-4 to record the employee withholding requirements. If one of these is selected, the employee will be presented with a screen similar to the Federal W-4. This will then be saved as the appropriate 'State W-4' in the employee attachment section, which will then be marked with a corresponding state abbreviation in the Office Code box in order to show that it was used for a specific state.
Additional items to be released:
- Form I9 - The format has been updated to reflect the format change the will be taking effect in 2017.
- Admin Tasks - A Due Date has now been included.
- Certify I9 - Date boxes were updated to be consistent with the other date boxes within this feature. This resolved some issues that occurred for some users when the attempted to record dates for employee support documents.
- Certify I9 - The name populated on the final I9 form will be taken from the User Profile rather than the Employee Profile.
- I9 - The Translator Address zip code was updated to force a proper US validation zip code format (XXXXX-XXXX).
- Direct Deposits - When saving direct deposit transactions the company option for pre-note will be used to determine if we mark it as a prenote.
- Employee Record - The ability to select the ‘SUTA’ state when creating the employee record has been included.
As the administrator, you will notice a few more features. The Other Tax screen has been updated to show a state drop down of US states only. It will also have a new field added for 'County' in preparation to execute the Indiana State W-4 process. State and County Withholding tax are filed together so they share the same State W-4 form. The Tax Filing team has been asked to populate the tax records with a county once this is made available. Indiana is actively being developed. Additionally the State Tax screen will have an updated State drop down for US States only.
Finally, the SUTA tax designation may be added to the Add New Hire process so administrators can declare that during the initial process. If it is released, our system will save the SUTA designation to the employee tax screen upon the creation of the employee record.